Tuesday, October 2, 2018

How to build a home Part 3: Ask questions


How do I do it?  I am lucky that I am good with ideas.  I understand how things go together or a made - whether it is a car engine, a building or sometimes an obscure piece of art.  I seem to be able to understand these things that to others might seem complicated.  Sometimes it is just a matter of looking - observation is the word - observing how the professionals do things.  What do they do?  What do they use?  How do they use it?  Ask yourself these question. By breaking something down into smaller pieces, and asking these questions, we can start to understand how to make things.

Another tip - if I am not sure about something, I usually ask the professionals.  If you are nice, and don't ask too many questions they will tell you quite a bit.  For example, the other day I asked a builder why he was using a special type of framing timber, for the construction of walls. He replied because they are nice and straight and you don't have to spend 3 days straightening everything.  Makes sense ha?

I have applied this technique to my own building and saved myself tens of thousands of dollars.

Not only can I build a home, I can work on my car, I can fix things for friends and neighbours.  I can have a go at most things.  I can (sort of) weld.  I can knock pieces of timber together.  I can wire a light switch, plumb gas line, dig footings, lay insulation, gyprock a ceiling, mix concrete, make windows and doors from scratch.  Many of these tasks are not that 'hard' or require the hands of a surgeon.  Most just simply come with the reading of installation guides, looking on the internet, asking the right questions of professionals, and just simply 'having a go.'

PS: if you are not sure about building your own home - ask me and I will do my best to answer!




No comments:

Post a Comment