Makes 2 Chicken Rolls, enough for 4 people
I went to my mate's butcher shop for the chicken and pork, definitely get good meat for this.
4 boned and skinned chicken thighs
approx 300g pork mince (I pinched 2 of their softest pork medallions and minced in the food processor at home)
6 good rashers of bacon (good quality again from the butcher)
1/2 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
4 sprigs of thyme, chopped
handful of parsley, chopped
sea salt, ground black pepper
cracked black pepper
1. Combine the pork mince, pistachios, herbs and a little salt and ground pepper in a bowl. Add a dash of olive oil if the pork mince is lean (which it was). Check seasoning.
2. Lay 2 of the chicken thighs on a board so they interlock when joined together. Place the chicken filling inside and rollup.
3. Lay 3 of the bacon rashers on the board, and place the roll on top. Rollup tightly with the bacon, and trim excess.
4. Tie with string, wrap tightly with glad wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour to let it set.
5. Repeat with the remaining chicken, bacon and filling
6. Drizzle with olive oil, and crack some black pepper over the roll for seasoning. No salt needed, its in the bacon.
7. Bake in a moderate oven, 170 degrees C for 30minutes
8. Allow to rest on a warm plate while you make the sauce
1.5 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar (or red wine vinegar if you have it)
2 Tbsp Marsala wine (sweet marsala not dry, the boronia marsala is fine)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sugar or to taste
1. Deglaze the baking pan with the vinegar
2. Add the marsala wine and the stock and reduce until a thick sauce
3. Taste and add a little sugar
Serve the chicken sliced up on a base of pea and broad bean risotto*, glass of chardonnay and good crusty bread. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
* ask me for the recipe!