Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Beef Stir Fry with a difference

Playing around with ideas is my forte, so I decided to make a beef stir fry using fresh oranges which are everywhere around here at the moment (South Eastern Inland Australia).  Normally the classic stir fry is the domain of the South East asian cuisine, in which I suspect oranges don't play a big part. But the method can be used with other flavours.

I think it worked well, so well that I think I might try it again.

Anyway, the basic recipe is much the same as a beef and oyster sauce stir fry, but using orange juice instead of the oyster sauce!

350g beef fillet, sliced into strips
1 orange, juiced and the zested with a grater
1 small pip of garlic
1 tbsp good quality naturally brewed soy sauce
vegetable oil (I used grape seed oil, but u can use peanut or canola oil)
1 tsp cornflour

marinate the beef in the garlic, soy sauce, orange zest and vegetable oil for 1 hour

heat a wok to high heat, stir fry the beef in oil in batches
take out of wok
stir fry vegetables of choice (carrots, capsicum/pepper, beans) in batches
Put all the meat and vegetables back into the wok
Add orange juice, thickened with a tsp of cornflour
Simmer until the sauce has thickened
Serve on a bed of rice

I think the flavour works, it almost has a middle eastern or moroccan feel to the dish. You can top with almond slivers for a bit of crunch.  Play around with this and see how it goes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment